Postal Service’s Oldest Employee Still Going Strong

November 16, 2007 by
Filed under: mail handlers, postal news

Mail handler Chester Reed is an inspiration in many ways.

He began working at the San Bernardino, CA, P&DC in 1973, after retiring from the Air Force — and has never missed a day of work during 60 years of combined federal service. At 93, Reed is the oldest postal employee still working in the nation.

“Chester is a good role model,” Plant Manager Ken Lucas said. “He’s helpful, keeps busy, and you can count on him to do anything you ask.”

“I started as a mail handler and I’m a mail handler today,” Reed said. “I used to cancel letters but now I’m an equipment operator. I’m not ready to retire. I like the work I do.”

Reed is often questioned about his secret to longevity and his answer is always the same: “Onion sandwiches. I eat one every day.”

source: USPS News Link

Comments

No Comments on Postal Service’s Oldest Employee Still Going Strong

1. retired1 on Fri, 16th Nov 2007 9:37 am
  2. He is a no life idiot!

3. carrier_jim on Fri, 16th Nov 2007 2:50 pm
  4. retired1, you are a complete douchebag. Just thought you should know it.

5. lostin254 on Fri, 16th Nov 2007 6:21 pm
  6. Dude needs a life . Don’t stand down wind of him .

7. IODButI'mOneThatWorks on Sat, 17th Nov 2007 6:55 am
  8. Chester is one awesome and amazing individual. Last year he went hang gliding..yep you read right…HANG GLIDING in Brazil with his son. And for any of you naysayers who think he doesn’t have a life, consider your own life. And especially Retired1 who couldn’t even hack it without bailing on an early out and then spends his entire life on this website sacking postal workers who are STILL working…so where’s your life, Retired1? In the toilet which is probably where you live anyway. Go Chester go!!!

9. Samson says on Tue, 20th Nov 2007 5:45 am
  10. Chester if you start to fall to the floor you will be punched off the clock BEFORE YOU HIT THE FLOOR

11. josie on Wed, 21st Nov 2007 7:06 am
  12. Samson has it right…you will be punched out before you hit the floor. Your spunk is notable but your selfishness is even more notable. You could be doing some great volunteer work and that job could’ve gone to some poor person with a family who could really use it. Think…

13. Felix on Wed, 21st Nov 2007 12:19 pm
  14. And tonight, a young couple struggles to get by in San Bernadino, and the husband is waiting each day to get that call-in notice, which never comes…

15. jennifer on Fri, 23rd Nov 2007 3:20 pm
  16. I work in suncity,az around alot of elderly people and this is what i have to say too chester , GO Chester GO !!! I’m very proud of you ! who cares what all them bad mouth losers say !! you where there first and you have the choice to stay if thats what you choose ! besides its too late in the game to change now ! this is what keeps you going strong !!!! Happy holidays

17. T. Raleigh on Sat, 8th Dec 2007 3:29 am
  18. You are indeed an inspiration, and may god continue to bless you Chester. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

19. clown on Mon, 24th Dec 2007 8:09 pm
  20. What a loon…

21. Samson says on Mon, 28th Jan 2008 4:53 pm
  22. PUT A TWAT ON YOUR SANDWICH

23. Mary E Thatcher on Wed, 30th Jan 2008 7:43 am
  24. I posted this article for inspiration.
    I know so
    many losers and quitters and most are very young with absolutly no work ethics.. You are greatly admired.
    There are days when I think I don’t want to be working and then I look at you.
    You are not taking a job from young people. They do not want to work

25. anonymous on Sun, 3rd Feb 2008 2:41 am
  26. All I can say is GET A LIFE. I cant believe that he would want to stay at that place for all those years. Just unbelievable. Take your retirement….get active. Maybe he just wants to die on the job!

27. Anonymous on Mon, 11th Feb 2008 3:53 pm
  28. Go home you old man

29. leroy on Tue, 25th Mar 2008 2:19 pm
  30. dis guy wood work circles round me an my homies!! we all bout da brakes an dissin on ho’s

31. Carlton on Mon, 14th Apr 2008 6:20 pm
  32. Right on Chester! I just hope the idiotic managers appreciate you and don’t bug the hell out of you.

33. Samson says on Wed, 16th Apr 2008 11:17 am
  34. maybe.

35. L campbell on Mon, 16th Mar 2009 3:16 am
  36. YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL! I HAVE BEEN WITH THE USPS FOR 25 YEARS AND HAVE DONE EVERYTHING FROM CLEAN TOILETS TO OIC POSTMASTER HAVE NOW CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE. I HAVE MISSED A LOT OF WORK DUE TO THIS. I THANK GOD I CAN STILL WORK. YOU MUST HAVE REALLY OBEYED YOUR PARENTS WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG TO HAVE LIVED AND BE HEALTHY AS LONG AS YOU HAVE. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND MAY GOD CONTINUE TO RICHLY BLESS YOU.