Bogus USPS Early Out Retirement Letter Making The Rounds

October 24, 2007 by
Filed under: postal, retirement, usps

USPS News Link

A letter purporting to offer USPS employees in the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) an early out or a buyout by December 2008 is bogus.

Someone cleverly copied sections from a legitimate offer by another government agency to its CSRS employees, substituted “USPS” at key points, and sent it to USPS employees. The letter has been photocopied and is surfacing in different sections of the country as an official USPS letter, prompting numerous inquiries into its legitimacy.

“The Postal Service has no plans to offer mass early outs or buyouts to any employees — CSRS or otherwise,” said Chief Human Resources Officer Anthony Vegliante.

And that’s no rumor — that’s the truth.

Update: USPS is offering an early out in 2008 afterall. See

Comments

No Comments on Bogus USPS Early Out Retirement Letter Making The Rounds

1. jackpot on Wed, 24th Oct 2007 10:25 am
  2. Oh my sides are aching from laughter. All you early out dreamers and incentive to boot. Stop it, you’re killing me. Happy to be an EO from 2004. If you want EO, suffer the indignity of being a clerk or a mailhandler!!

3. retired1 on Wed, 24th Oct 2007 4:00 pm
  4. I took early out 10/31/2003 at age 48 and “I’M Lovin It”!

5. Mac Daddy on Wed, 24th Oct 2007 4:41 pm
  6. The Postal Service Lies Ha Ha.

7. Big Poppy on Wed, 24th Oct 2007 6:31 pm
  8. Opm decides who retires not the post service, they are taking way too much credit

9. Anonymous on Wed, 24th Oct 2007 7:57 pm
  10. Where did they get my address?

11. Anonymous on Thu, 25th Oct 2007 3:41 am
  12. OPM acts on a request from the Postal Service. USPS has to initiate.

13. papa on Thu, 25th Oct 2007 5:48 am
  14. Really though, that would be a good way to jump start the new super duper Postal Service. Out with the old in with the new. Just think of all the $’s saved with all the Te’s. Do it, do it, do it

15. moe ronn on Fri, 26th Oct 2007 2:01 pm
  16. moe ronn sez line up suckers usps only does throwouts not buyouts ask all those poor I.O.D.WORKERS that their in the process of flushing out of their postal toilet bowl!!!!management is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ screw the workers production over people thats their motto ***

17. JERSEY JIM on Fri, 26th Oct 2007 2:32 pm
  18. HEY MOE!!!
    MANAGEMENT WANTS A CLEAN BOWL AND IT LOOKS LIKE THEY WITH ONE FLUSH CAN SUCEED. THE INJURED WORKERS WHEN THEY GET FIRED WILL SCARE ALL THE OTHER POSTAL EMPLOYEES FROM FILING AN INJURY IN THE FUTURE. AND UNFORTUNATELY IT WILL WORK. IN FACT MY SUPERVISOR IS LOOKING FOR ME TO SEE IF I AM LIMPING!!!! GOTTA GO MOE!!!! JERSEY JIM

19. whoneedsthem on Sat, 27th Oct 2007 6:36 pm
  20. Ride the pony until the quarter runs out…Any csrs workers left out there that are not looking for a job in old age homes? .

21. DH From Bellmawr on Wed, 7th Nov 2007 3:18 pm
  22. I don’t need an early out..Just give me back my lump sum (the amount you contributed to create your annuity retirement…lower right hand corner of your check)that George Bush senior stole from me about 15 years ago and I’m outta here.

23. Frank on Fri, 16th Nov 2007 11:11 am
  24. A guy from where I worked was so excited that he was beside himself. The laughter directed at him was funny.
    He had been looking for an early out everysince I met him 5 years ago.

He fell for it hook, line and sinker.

25. anonymous on Sun, 16th Dec 2007 6:24 pm
  26. Heard it was still being considered in the future, Just a rumor or what?

27. wilbur on Fri, 28th Dec 2007 6:31 pm
  28. The only way to get an early out is if you drop dead. Wouldn’t the usps love that!

29. granny on Thu, 28th Feb 2008 8:26 pm
  30. 2/28/2008

Has anyone else heard this ??

We have heard there is a probability of an
    early out offer (to eliminate 70,000 postal
    employees) to off-set the huge deficit the Post
    Office faces at this time.

Many of us left, CSRS, will be eligible for retirement in the next few years. Some of us
    would love an opportunity to go NOW. We have never seen so much corruption in management and
    little respect for employees. Sad for everyone but especially those of us with 30+ years of service.

31. rick79 on Sun, 30th Mar 2008 1:21 pm
  32. Typically the U.S.P.S only offers an agency wide V.E.R.A. Voluntary Early Retirement with the 2% penalty for each year you are short on age and time.

However this option is always available for any employee, like annual leave. It may or may not get approved on an individual basis.

A REAL EARLY OUT would mean that the U.S.P.S. paid your reitement account in full and let you go today as though you were 55 years old with 30 years of service. Retirement with no penalty. (Don’t hold your breath).

And finally a “BUY OUT”; Like the REAL EARLY OUT PLUS an added bonus (say $1,000) for each year you worked there.

The U.S.P.S. would benefit greatly from a buy out but they are just to stupid to mimic anything any successful company has ever done.

Besides why would anyone want to give up working weekends and holidays, and staying two hours the day before and coming in two hours the day after Thanksgiving.

I would have been married 30 years ago if only I could have gotten a Saturday off. LOL

Hey does any one remember when a supervisor had to have knowledge of the job they were supervising?

33. anonymous on Wed, 2nd Apr 2008 4:34 pm
  34. It makes a lot of sense to offer early outs. That’s precisely why the Post Office won’t do it.

35. jerkyboy54 on Wed, 7th May 2008 4:52 pm
  36. i’m watching my motto’s been retire before i get fired tired of working with a bullseye on my back

37. Anonymous on Thu, 8th May 2008 12:18 pm
  38. USPS lost 7 million $$ last Quarter. USPS is not interested in saving money therefore, Early outs makes too much sense.

39. kf333 on Fri, 9th May 2008 12:54 pm
  40. Hey! Our union rep told us that the details of an early out will be covered in the union meeting of 5/13/08.

Also, management is discussing a 5 day delivery due to the ever rising cost of gas.

Makes sense to me, and I refuse to come down off my cloud until next week (if necessary).

41. DEVINE on Wed, 21st May 2008 9:35 am
  42. HOPE TO HAVE AN EARLY OUT FOR CLERKS AT THE ISC/JFK BY OCTOBER 2008

43. CONNORS on Wed, 21st May 2008 9:37 am
  44. IT LOOKS LIKE CLERKS AT THE ISC/JFK WILL BE OFFERED AN EARLY OUT , WHEN JFK WILL REORG THE REGISTRY SECTION AT BUILDING 197 SOMETIMES IN OCTOBER 2008, STAY TUNE FOR DETAILS….

45. BJ on Wed, 2nd Jul 2008 7:34 pm
  46. USPS MANAGES ABOUT THE SAME AS OWCP.GET HURT ON THE JOB AND SEE HOW MUCH THE USPS CARES.GET BIT BY A DOG AND FIND WHEN YOU FIRST CALL TO REPORT THE ATTACK.FIRST QUESTION CAN YOU MAKE IT TO YOUR LUNCH POINT,NOT HOW BAD ARE YOU HURT.I HAVE MORE RESPECT FOR THE DOG HE WAS ONLY IN HIS MIND TRYING TO PROTECT HIS OWNER NOT HIS BONUS.IF AN EARLY BUY-OUT MAKES SENSE FORGET IT.

47. b.j. on Tue, 8th Jul 2008 10:06 am
  48. I worked at for the USPS back in the 60’s for about five years. Can I still draw down the monies paid into my retirement account?

49. 42 cents on Thu, 10th Jul 2008 5:52 pm
  50. TO ALL IT’S TRUE A BUYOUT IS TRUE. DO A SEARCH FOR NALC 38 WEBSITE BY 12/28/08