There have been questions about the General Reduction in Force (RIF) Notices that were mailed by Human Resources (HR) on April 28 — including why some employees got one and others did not.
- HR used the information available at the time the General RIF Notices were issued — including which employees took the Voluntary Early Retirement (VER) — to determine which competitive areas may still be subject to RIF and, if a RIF is conducted, which employees could be impacted.
- Based on the information gathered through April 28, employees were mailed a General RIF Notice if:
- Their positions were abolished.
- Their positions were reduced in authorizations.
- The employee is within three grades (and in limited cases within five grades) of a preference-eligible employee who could be impacted.
- Notices can take up to 1 week to reach employees. They were sent Certified Mail with a return receipt that requires a signature.
- If you did not receive a General RIF Notice, don’t speculate on what that could mean. You may not have received your Notice because it has not reached you through the mail or, because at the time the Notices were generated, you fell into one of the groups that was not identified as potentially being impacted by a RIF.
- As happens often in any organizational change after General RIF Notices are mailed out, circumstances can change in a competitive area. For example, an employee’s preference eligibility status could change, in turn changing which employees could be potentially impacted by a RIF within the competitive area. In other words, more employees could now be impacted.
- Once HR determines if a RIF is necessary, Specific RIF Notices will be issued to employees who did not receive a RIF placement or were placed in a different position.*
- Here’s what you can and should be doing now. Get your profile created or updated in eCareer by May 11. That profile is going to be your professional resume and will be an important tool during the position placement portion of the RIF process.
*The Specific RIF Notice issue date has changed from May 25 to May 27.