and Mobile Data Acquisition Devices and software
USPS posted the following notice on the Federal Business Opportunities website
The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) is seeking innovative solutions for its Next Generation of Handheld Data Acquisition device and software. The current device does not employ wireless technology and only communicates when cradled. The data collection occurs as delivery operations personnel deliver mail, scan barcodes, collect signatures, and provide proof of delivery. Other functions for this device include day-to-day operation of Surface Visibility, which tracks mail movement across the country. USPS envisions the new device to take advantage of technological trends that may be available for the retail and delivery industry.
The Postal Service does not intend to award a contract on the basis of this RFI or to pay for the information solicited.
USPS recognizes that the new system may not only require new handheld device, but also Software, infrastructure, and backend system processing support. All Suppliers (software, hardware, telecommunication, and integrators) are encouraged to respond to this RFI even if they can only provide service and/or product that address one part of this RFI.
When responding to the RFI questions, suppliers may discuss their approach for replacement strategy of 300,000 devices, their software, and infrastructure. Software development and/or migration strategies along with backend data processing and integration may also be addressed. COTS HW/SW solutions, with minor modifications, and industry standard practices built for product delivery and logistics industry may be discussed as well. Option for leasing the mobile wireless device, or perhaps significantly reduced pricing while participating in a wireless data plan, may be strategies that the supplier may explore as part of the RFI response.
Step 1: The Postal Service is simply seeking options from the interested supplier(s). The suppliers are encouraged to provide multiple options for implementation. Suppliers are also encouraged to not disclose proprietary information in this phase. Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) will not be extended to any supplier responding to this RFI. The supplier may only provide MSRP pricing to highlight the overall value of their solution including wireless plans and commercially available hardware/software solutions in the marketplace.
Step 2: USPS will use the information collected from RFI to produce the Statement-of-Work and will officially solicit suppliers for RFP.
Step 3: The supplier(s) for production system will be awarded contract(s).
1. General requirements:
• Provide real-time data collection and centralized data analysis and management
o Data Management Component
o Data Reporting Component
o System Configuration Component
o System Administration Component
o Asset Management Component
• Support scanning of all USPS current and easily user configurable for future barcodes (on the mobile client)
• System be independently configurable (without requiring supplier involvement and modification to the software code) (data driven)
• System supports a development environment that allows easy independent development of new features, screens and work flows(without requiring supplier involvement),
• Extend and integrate with new and existing systems (e.g. Product Tracking System, etc.) and Web Services (without requiring supplier involvement)
• Conform to all applicable USPS standards, (reference www.usps.com/publications)
• Be scalable to support 500,000 mobile devices
• Provide segregation of duties, role-based access and tiered administrative ability