Senator Carper Reacts to Historic Postal Service Losses

WASHINGTON – Today, Sen. Carper (D-Del.), chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Federal Financial Management, Government Information, Federal Services and International Security which oversees the U.S. Postal Service, released the following statement in response to the Postal Service’s announcement earlier today that it lost $8.5 billion in the last fiscal year. Sen. Carper is a co-sponsor of the Postal Operations Sustainment and Transformation (POST) Act (S. 3831):

“This latest historic loss by the U.S. Postal Service is disappointing but not surprising given the serious financial peril in which it currently finds itself. The effects of the Great Recession combined with systemic flaws in the Postal Service’s business model and a number of financial and operating restraints placed on postal management have brought the Postal Service to the precipice of financial ruin. They may also represent the most serious threat to the institution in its over 200 year history. If corrective action is not taken quickly, the Postal Service will likely run out of cash and borrowing authority by this time next year, placing its ability to continue operations in serious jeopardy. This report underscores the urgent need for Congress to move swiftly to consider comprehensive Postal reform legislation, which I introduced in September of this year, in order to avert a catastrophe for the Postal Service. I hope my colleagues and the Administration will take this report to heart and work with me to address the challenges facing the Postal Service so we can protect the vital services American families and businesses depend on.”

4 thoughts on “Senator Carper Reacts to Historic Postal Service Losses

  1. They always cut from the BOTTOM, WHY?? but they will NEVER see that they need to CUT THE FAT from the TOP… They Cut us out and make room for them, even though they don’t have a CLUE HOW TO WORK THE MAIL!! God Help US!

  2. Congress is basically refusing to address the flaws within the USPS such as the disgraceful overstaffing of management both at headquarters and the field. It also deliberately hung an unpayable millstone around the Postal Service’s neck by requiring it to pay the $5.5 billion and not postponing it when the recession hit.

    Why is the Postal Service being sacrificed?

    Why did the government “bail out” the auto companies andnow refusing to rectify the Postal Service by removing the $5.5 billion payment?

    Why is the Postal Service the only federal agency having to “pre0pay retiree health benefits? all other agencies and private companies use “paygo” ?

    This whole scenario is being done deliberately to “privatize” the Postal Service so it can be sold off. The USPS was audited from year 2005 thru 2009 and found to be solvent without having to ‘pre-pay” retireenhealth benefits; ask Congress WHY the Postal Service has to make these payments?

  3. I agree with Baltimore retired one 99% and here’s the other 1% that we should do and that is eliminate 50% of the MPOO positions nationwide. Everything is at our fingertips and we don’t need all these high paying jobs to create reports. As a matter of fact, all reports are generated automatically with today’s advance technology. In addition, eliminate all secretaries for the MPOO, MOPS, MIPS, and eliminate all data collector personnnel who calls you every day and take your valuable time away from you. The people actually drives to post office to see if the person is actually working or not, what a waste of money. In the Bay Valley District, there are three secretaries, one for the DM, one for the MOPS, and one for the MPOO, all sitting next to eachother. DM should be able to keep his secretary and eliminate the other two and have the DM secretary take care of the rest of the workload, which isn’t much. The MOPS secretary spends her time watering plants all day and the MPOO secretary spends her time listening to her religious gospel and doing her nails. Get over it folks. There’s so much waste at the District level, AERA level, and HQ level. I hope the republicans will turn the table on these so call postal executives. Fire them all

  4. What the Postal Service needs to do is: (1) Sell L’Enfant Plaza and rent it, (2) Eliminate regional VP’s, all reports to be made by Plant Managers via e-mail to Headquarters, (3) Eliminate over 3/4 of the unnecessary jobs at Headquarters, (4) Senior MDO’s should receive a salary equivalent to the highest salary of an Associate Office with MDO’s receiving no higher that EAS-19, (5) Eliminate the unneeded Office of Inspector General and have this function given back to the Inspection Service. If kept the salary should be no higher than a MDO, (6) eliminate all Personnel Office employees and put them back on the work floor.

Comments are closed.